Kiddy Up with Horses is a non-profit organization serving the Southern Maryland, Washington DC communities since 2010. We provide both challenges and rewards to children from communities with physical, intellectual, emotional and social disabilities. Many kids have learning disabilities, low self-esteem, conduct problems, and other issues that make them “At-Risk” adolescents. They are troubled youth who are “At-Risk” for various negative outcomes ranging from mild to severe. Examples include truancy, grade failure, drug and/or alcohol abuse, teen pregnancy, suicide, and emotional and/or psychological disturbances. Most have not had the modeling in their life one generally needs to develop behavior patterns and skills to help them negotiate life conflicts.
Our Mission is to promote and enhance the welfare of children by providing an opportunity to be involved in a program of therapeutic, educational and recreational value and further to empower these children who may be intellectually, physically, emotionally and/or socially challenged through the use of horses, while providing therapeutic benefits in a safe, warm, and caring controlled atmosphere.
- Our vision is to increase the quality of life for children through the use of horses.
- We believe that horses provide recreational and therapeutic benefits.
- We believe the relationship between horse and rider is often magical, and unexplainable.
- We believe that our training, knowledge, experience and passion with horses provide a unique opportunity to enhance the quality of life for our children.
- We know that the world looks different on a horse.
Animal Assisted Therapy
All riders benefit from the physical aspects of horseback riding. Physically, the walking motion of the horse mimics that of the human gait, forcing the trunk to move in the same fashion. This motion exercises and strengthens the trunk, neck and leg muscles and also produces a calming effect on the rider. With individuals that have mental or emotional disorders we are able to use the horse as a modality to work on special needs and therapy.
Riders may play games on horseback, perform gymnastic movements on the back of a horse, learn dressage, or go for a trail ride. These activities are geared to improve and support the individual goals of the riders, their families and therapists.
Please Consider Supporting KUWH – Here Is How You Can Help
- Sponsor a child for riding classes -- At Kiddy Up With Horses we only charge ¼ of the cost of a class. This means we are responsible for subsidizing the remaining 75%.
- Cash or check made payable to Kiddy Up With Horses, Inc. -- Contribution Form.
- Credit Cards/PayPal donations: Donate via PayPal.
- Pledge – paid in quarterly or monthly installments:
- Sponsor a student rider:
For You Horsey Folks – Consider Donating Used Horse Tack and Supplies
Kiddy Up with Horses is always in need of gently used horse tack and equipment.
We received a generous donation from Maryland Saddlery Consignment located at 1413 Defense Highway, Gambrills, Maryland. Thank you for you generous donation to Kiddy Up With Horses.
- horse blankets
- saddle pads
- Stall Mats
- Gift Cards
Other Supplies Needed
- Equine medical supplies
- First Aid Kit Supplies
- Hoses, lumber, farm tools, manure spreader
- Picnic tables, fencing
- Vacuum Cleaner